Are you tired of your never-changing daily routine, making you lose your motivation? As much as you want to put something new in your life, you are either too busy or afraid of doing so. Leaving your comfort zone might put you in a vulnerable position, but it is beneficial for you in general.
The thrill of a new experience gives you memorable moments, making you retain more positive emotions than before, as per psychologist Rich Walker. Questions like “Can I do this? What am I even doing? Do I look stupid?” are all typical when people try unfamiliar activities.
Trying new things can make your fears disappear as you become more open to learn and experience various stuff. If you are still not convinced, read this article and know why you must try something new to change your life.
Signs Indicating the Need for Life Modifications
It is hard to know when you badly need to reset your routine when focusing on your responsibilities. Thus, here are the four signs indicating you are losing your motivation and need to gear up for a brand new start right away.
- You are no longer getting challenged. As you do the same things repeatedly, your work and other daily routines might put you in a life of automation, resulting in boredom.
- You are too comfortable and complacent with your surroundings as you feel safe with the familiarity. However, it can cause you to resist change that eventually loses your drive.
- Things around you eventually become uninteresting, making you lose your passion for achieving new goals as you are currently in a decent situation compared to before.
- You are unhappy, but you can’t pinpoint the reason why. Any of the three reasons mentioned might be the cause, and recognizing them is difficult.
Why Doing Something New Can Change Your Life
A CNN article featured a cognitive psychologist named Gary Marcus where he wrote about the benefits of discovering, exploring, and trying new things, resulting in better personal growth and health. Doing something new indeed bring more advantages than you could ever imagine, and here are some of them:
- If you get dragged into something unknown, your mind and body get challenged, where your stagnant neurotransmitters and muscles became shocked. When learning a new skill, you are also feeding your body and mind of new experiences, improving your overall capacity.
- Upon discovering various unfamiliar incidents, you can have a new perception and way of perceiving things, allowing you to know what you might have been missing all this time.
- Once you step out of your comfort zones, you can recognize and eventually embrace more opportunities in your life.
- Your monotonous routine and biorhythm get disrupted, but this incident stimulates your physical, intellectual, and even emotional state.
- As you maintain a habit of discovering new things to do, you become more open to anything new, may it be opportunities, experiences, and other unknown matters.
Ways to Change Your Life
Start diverting how you see things in life into a wholly unfamiliar but efficient method. Here are some of the ways to start changing your life as soon as possible.
- Do anything and something new, no matter how trivial it can be.
- Be responsible in everything you do and confront its consequences.
- Mind those who and what only matter. Embrace the fact that no one will care but yourself.
- Focusing on your goals is good, but it is better to give more attention to your habits.
- Start figuring out who you really are.
- Focus on fewer things and be excellent at each of them than bombarding yourself with unnecessary skills but became terrible at them.
- Give yourself a break. Avoid trying too hard but be careful not to lower your standards.
Books that Will Change Your Life
Here are some of the books that can get you to start changing your life. Take your time in embedding the thoughts in these books and apply them in your life.
- The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck by Mark Manson
- Stumbling on Happiness by Daniel Gilbert
- The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg
- Tiny Beautiful Things by Cheryl Strayed
- The Denial of Death by Ernest Becker
You might feel hesitant at first, but the possibilities are endless when you start trying something new, no matter how small or giant a leap you make outside your comfort zone. Broaden your horizons, meet new people, and discover new skills to give your soul and life a boost.
Five Reasons Why Trying Something New Will Change Your Life. (2015, September 04). Retrieved January 24, 2021, from https://www.allankarl.com/five-reasons-why-trying-something-new-will-change-your-life/?doing_wp_cron=1611437817.5870940685272216796875
Health and Happiness. (2007, June 13). Retrieved January 24, 2021, from http://content.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1631176_1630611_1630586,00.html
Marcus, G. (2012, May 10). Learn something new – your brain will thank you. Retrieved January 24, 2021, from http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2012/05/10/learn-something-new-your-brain-will-thank-you/
Mark Manson. (2020, October 23). How to Change Your Life. Retrieved January 24, 2021, from https://markmanson.net/how-to-change-your-life
Why You Should Try New Things. (2016, May 27). Retrieved January 24, 2021, from https://wanderlust.com/journal/why-you-should-try-new-things/
Disclaimer: The information contained in this site is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. You should not act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in this site without seeking legal or other professional advice. The contents of this site contain general information and may not reflect current legal developments or address your situation. We disclaim all liability for actions you take or fail to take based on any content on this site.